Monday 7 January 2013

{2013 Resolution: Spend more time with my kids}

Found this on Pinterest and I actually cried when I read it because it made me realize our kids only want small, simple things from us not the big, expensive things we think they need.


"A wise teacher named Erin Kurt happened to have the insight to ask her students what they most liked their parents to do with them. She asked this same question every year for 16 years and from these responses she revealed, “The Top 10 Things Kids Want From Parents.”
Be prepared to be surprised.
Be prepared to be hopeful.
Be prepared to give yourself a celebratory high five, because the news is good, my friends.
And if you are like me, you might even have unexpected tears. Because the things your kids will remember are a lot easier to do than we often overly-pressured parents have been led to believe. And you might already be doing some of them.
The Top Ten Things Kids Really Want Their Parents To Do With Them
  1. Come into my bedroom at night, tuck me in and sing me a song. Also tell me stories about when you were little.
  2. Give me hugs and kisses and sit and talk with me privately.
  3. Spend quality time just with me, not with my brothers and sisters around.
  4. Give me nutritious food so I can grow up healthy.
  5. At dinner talk about what we could do together on the weekend.
  6. At night talk to me about about anything; love, school, family etc.
  7. Let me play outside a lot.
  8. Cuddle under a blanket and watch our favorite TV show together.
  9. Discipline me. It makes me feel like you care.
  10. 10. Leave special messages in my desk or lunch bag.
Isn’t it simple?
Isn’t it beautiful?
Isn’t it achievable?
This list inspires me so much that I taped it to my fridge. It serves as a reminder that it’s the small things we do as parents that mean the most, and it is those very same things that our kids will remember when they are grown."
I made this free printable of the 10 things for you to print and put in a place where you can be reminded of it everyday, there is also an Afrikaans one for my Ditjies en Datjies readers.



No comments:

Post a Comment